The Charter Blog

The Charter Blog

The Power of Community

June 03, 2016 | by Salem Adkins |

I remember my first day at St. Croix Preparatory Academy very vividly. The night before my first day, I slept very little. I was pretty terrified. I had seen the uniforms of St. Croix Prep students and, as a twelve-year-old, I quickly associated school uniforms with snooty private school children from movies. The next morning, however, I was brave enough to eat breakfast and catch the bus to...

Accepting the Challenge

June 02, 2016 | by Alex Hastings |

In a society where colleges hunt down high GPAs and flawless report cards, it remains difficult to convince parents to place their students in a more difficult environment. It does not make sense to take on heftier homework loads in exchange for lower grades. Doing so could result in a disadvantage when applying to colleges. However, after being a student at a charter school for four years, I...

My Charter School Let Me Grow into the Person I Want to Be

June 01, 2016 | by Steven Vargas |

I started attending Harmony Science Academy in the third grade. In my previous school, I didn’t feel smart. When I heard about this new school called “Harmony Science Academy” opening up in my city, I was excited to attend. Although I was eight years old, I knew where I was supposed to go. HSA looked like a place where I could be smart. I was tired of being told I wasn’t good enough, so I...

30 Days of Grad: Devon Haist

June 30, 2015 | by National Alliance |

Before the Anderson Five Charter School opened, Devon Haist, a student with Asperger’s syndrome, found it difficult to learn in the public school system. He changed schools several times since middle school, trying to find the school that would be just right.

30 Days of Grad: Ellie Northrop

June 29, 2015 | by National Alliance |

Today’s #30DaysOfGrad post comes from Ellie Northrop, a graduate of Career Path High in Kaysville, Utah. This was originally featured on the Getting Smart blog, and you can read the entire post here.

30 Days of Grad: Covenant House Academy Grand Rapids

June 28, 2015 | by National Alliance |

The support and instruction from teachers and counselors in a safe, structured environment is helping former dropouts, homeless or otherwise at-risk youth earn a high school diploma.

30 Days of Grad: 21st Century Charter School

June 27, 2015 | by National Alliance |

Joseph Harris stood in his cap and gown Saturday afternoon and hugged his father as tears streamed down both of their cheeks.

30 Days of Grad: Lauren Roberge

June 26, 2015 | by National Alliance |

Most high school valedictorians speak vaguely about a limitless future at this time of year, but Amesbury Academy's Class of 2015 valedictorian Lauren Roberge is a bit more pointed.

30 Days of Grad: Leslie Maldonado

June 25, 2015 | by National Alliance |

Today's #30DaysOfGrad post comes from Leslie Maldonado, a graduate of Achievement First Amistad High School in New Haven, CT.

30 Days of Grad: Angel Onofre

June 24, 2015 | by National Alliance |

Angel Onofre was ready to ditch school. Depression and a conversation with his parents, who live in Mexico, left him feeling unmotivated to continue with school. But when he went in to tell the principal of El Colegio Charter School that he was dropping out, just one semester short of graduation, she wouldn’t allow him to do it.

Subscribe for Blog Updates