The Charter Blog

The Charter Blog

My Journey to Graduation Was Far from Typical

June 13, 2016 | by John David Driver |

My journey to graduate from high school was far from traditional. It had its curves, bumps, and road blocks, but they all led me to walking across the stage- and I wouldn't have it any other way.

She Has in Her Mind That She Can Do Anything

June 12, 2016 | by Khadidja Diouf |

Khadidja Diouf, a graduating senior at Dayton Early College Academy (DECA), has a 3.37 GPA and will enroll in West Virginia University this fall, fulfilling the school’s mantra, “We’re going to college." Khadidja—the first in her family to attend college— plans to major in supply chain management and logistics, a field she was introduced to at a DECA career fair.

I Found a Place I Can Call Home

June 11, 2016 | by Diana Cobas |

My name is Diana Cobas, and I am a senior at International Studies Charter High School (ISCHS). My school has not only challenged me academically, but has also been a home to me for the last three years. Its unique academic programs, passionate professors, and diverse students, have made my experience at this charter school incredibly fulfilling.   

My Charter School Means Everything to Me

June 10, 2016 | by Amber Sans |

I attended Explorations Charter School, where I had to make the transformation from childhood into adulthood at an early age. Most people spend their high school years at parties, going out, or having fun with friends. I did not. My freshman year was like that, normal, but then everything changed in my sophomore year. At the beginning of that year, I became pregnant. I was sixteen at the time....

I Was Surprised By My Own Abilities

June 09, 2016 | by Ana Victoria Guimaraes |

Hello! My name is Ana Victoria Guimaraes and I am a part of Doral Academy Preparatory School’s graduating class of 2016. I had the pleasure of attending this Doral Academy for all my years of schooling, from pre-kindergarten to senior year. It is a school like no other. I met all my closest friends within its hallways; fostered lasting bonds with teachers; and grew into the confident young...

I Wouldn’t Change Anything About My High School Experience

June 08, 2016 | by John Wilson |

My journey at Christel House Academy, a charter school on the Southside of Indianapolis, began 14 years ago. That’s right. I’ve spent my entire educational career at one school. Of course, I had the opportunity to go to different schools, but my decision to remain at Christel House has without a doubt been one of the best decisions I could have ever made. My experiences here helped me grow and...

Prepared for the Whole World

June 07, 2016 | by Ellerie Freisinger |

When I reflect on the years I have spent in the halls of Cottonwood Classical Preparatory School (CCPS) and I wonder how my charter school helped me succeed, I don't owe it to the sleepless nights, or the months spent creating the Extended Essay for the International Baccalaureate program. What comes to mind is the school's motto, ‘preparing the whole child for the whole world.’ CCPS, a...

My school believed I could walk the stage at graduation

June 06, 2016 | by Annette Alanis |

"Annette Alanis, Director of Biomedical and Aerospace Engineering at NASA," I would say, introducing myself to the next astronaut that would venture into deep space. "You're in good hands my friend." With a firm handshake, I would begin the familiar tour of the machinery that many of my colleagues and I helped engineer. My decision to be an engineer was never a question. I have dreamed of...

It's the Journey That Counts

June 05, 2016 | by Shaun Johnson |

What is the measure of success or achievement? Is it as easily defined as the difference from the beginning and the end, or is it something more abstract—such as the magnitude of the path taken. Or, is it something even less visible and more intrinsic? Regardless of what is used to measure success, we ultimately see the results in the foundation that has been laid. In academia, regardless of...

Friday the Thirteenth Was My Lucky Day

June 04, 2016 | by Katie Curran |

Who knew that Friday the thirteenth would be one of the luckiest days of my life? I won the lottery on Friday, January 13, 2012 when my name was called to attend Sturgis Charter Public School. Four years later, I am graduating from Sturgis in Hyannis, Massachusetts. Sturgis Charter Public School has helped me succeed in a multitude of ways. My charter school has made me the bold, brave, and...

Recent Posts