The Charter Blog

Graduating Senior Takes Flight With the West Michigan Aviation Academy

This month, beginning with National Charter Schools Week, we will feature stories from charter school graduates from across the country. Check back every day to see a new student feature in our 30 Days of Grad series.

My name is Julia, and I am a 2017 graduate of West Michigan Aviation Academy (WMAA) in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I immediately wanted to attend WMAA when I discovered it in an article; I was amazed that there is a school entirely focused around my passion. Aviation is integrated into all aspects of WMAA, and the curriculum allows students to acquire their pilot’s license. Despite the amazing attributes, it was a difficult choice for my parents because the distance between my home and WMAA is about 150 miles. They finally agreed because they knew flying was my dream. I began living with family friends and commuting back to my home in Traverse City, Michigan, each weekend starting the following school year as a sophomore.

Read more here

Posted in 30 Days of Grad

When GED Completion Changes Everything

This month, beginning with National Charter Schools Week, we will feature stories from charter school graduates from across the country. Check back every day to see a new student feature in our 30 Days of Grad series.

Read more here

I Found “Joy, Wisdom, and Growth” at Quest Charter Academy High School

I think that in my time attending Quest Academy Charter School in Peoria, Illinois, I've learned more about the world, my fellow students, and myself than any other school I've attended.

Read more here

A College-Bound Class President with Many Lessons Learned

Read more here

From Founding Student to Founding Teacher at Two DSST Campuses in Ten Years

Many people can name decisions that changed their lives forever. One of mine was in 2005 as a freshman in high school in Denver, Colorado. I spent two weeks convincing my parents that traveling on two buses and a train one-way to attend a public charter school across the city was worth it. As a new charter school, DSST was making promises that my parents had never seen accomplished in our community.

Read more here

Posted in 30 Days of Grad, Charter Schools Week

A Disciplined, Organized, Vigorous Education (DOVE) leads to the US Naval Academy

The vision of Dove Science Academy, (DSA) in Oklahoma City is to provide students with a solid education within a healthy atmosphere. This vision led me to take a leap of faith and attend the school that ultimately prepared me for success. Before DSA, I attended one of the lowest-ranked schools in Oklahoma. After two years, my parents and I decided that it was time to pursue a school known for its excellence: Dove Science Academy. The moment I realized I was one of the eight people accepted into the Class of 2017, my mind was filled with ecstasy. Little did I know that I was about to embark on a challenging but life-changing experience.

Read more here

At City on a Hill, Dreams are Limitless

My name is Sandy Dessources, last year I graduated from City on a Hill Charter Public School in Boston, Massachusetts, and it is my dream to become an attorney. I want to spend my career fighting to eliminate the systemic obstacles facing women in both Haiti and America, and I feel confident that City on a Hill helped me to build the foundation that will make my dream a reality.

Read more here

I Was Born in a Refugee Camp in Kenya and Now I’ll Be the First in My Family to Attend College

Read more here

I’ve Been Preparing for College for Fourteen Years

This month, beginning with National Charter Schools Week, we will feature stories from charter school graduates from across the country. Check back every day to see a new student feature in our 30 Days of Grad series. 

The way that Capital City Public Charter School in Washington, D.C. prepares its students for college is a process that is unlike any other. I am in the 12th grade now, but I have been going to Capital City since Pre-Kindergarten. In total I have been here for 14 years. When I started school I was very shy and I absolutely hated socializing. Every morning on the way to school, I begged my parents to let me be homeschooled. My quietness did not survive for long because Capital City is not a school where you can just sit in the back and never raise your hand. This school has a tendency to push people out of their comfort zones which, as much as I hated it in elementary and middle school, I am thankful for now.

Read more here

My Story of Success

This month, beginning with National Charter Schools Week, we will feature stories from charter school graduates from across the country. Check back every day to see a new student feature in our 30 Days of Grad series. 

Right before the financial crisis decimated the global economy, I was failing my freshman year of high school. Throughout my education, I excelled in the humanities, but struggled in math and science, always needing extra help in class, and earned average scores on state tests. But in the fall of 2007, I wasn’t just struggling; I was drowning. My report card was riddled with Ds and Fs as health problems afflicted my father and my mother began to feel the weight and eventual collapse of the housing market. Being a teenager and battling bullies is hard enough, but I wouldn’t have been able to handle what was coming for me if I hadn’t made a change from my district public school education to a charter school.

Read more here