The Charter Blog

Public Policy-Oriented Charter School Helps One Senior Troubleshoot Societal Ills

This month, beginning with National Charter Schools Week, we will feature stories from charter school graduates from across the country. Check back every day to see a new student feature in our 30 Days of Grad series.

Read more here

Posted in 30 Days of Grad

A Mentor’s Influence Leads to Med School Ambitions and More

This month, beginning with National Charter Schools Week, we will feature stories from charter school graduates from across the country. Check back every day to see a new student feature in our 30 Days of Grad series.

Read more here

An Activist Spirit and the Motivation to Make Things Happen

Read more here

Figuring Out His Next Steps at a School by the Same Name

Read more here

Charter School Alum on Track to Graduate College Early Thanks to High School Credits

Read more here

At This Time, At This Place, and on to MIT

They say that you get this weird feeling when you are about to leave a place. Like you’ll not only miss the people that you know, but also the person that you are right now at this time and at this place. Over the past nine years, with its colorful hallways and beautiful family of students and teachers, Harmony School of Innovation in Fort Worth, Texas has become my second home. It is a place where students are constantly talking about starting something new. It’s a place where hands-on learning takes priority over textbooks. It’s a place where late evenings and early Saturdays are spent on the individual growth of the students. It’s a place thriving off of ambition, support and dedication.

Read more here

Waking Up At 5:30 a.m. Every Day Was Well Worth the Sacrifice

To me, a charter school is an educational institution that a school-age child may “choose” to attend so that they may discover new opportunities that will allow them to grow and flourish, either independently or with the guidance of exceptional administrators and highly qualified teachers.

Read more here

I May Be Incarcerated, But My Education Doesn’t End There

My name is Brittany Rodgers, I’m 19 years old, and I am incarcerated in the Kent County Correctional Facility. I am also a graduate of the Lighthouse Academy Charter School in Michigan, which I’m here to tell you about.

Read more here

My Mom (and KIPP) Don’t Just Hope for Me to Go to College, They Expect It

My family is from the Dominican Republic. I was raised by a single parent in a low-income household. My mother has been set on me going to college. She doesn’t hope for it—she expects it, especially since my older sister graduated from college and is now in grad school. I’m going to be the second person in my family to graduate from college.

Read more here

Graduating Senior Takes Flight With the West Michigan Aviation Academy

My name is Julia, and I am a 2017 graduate of West Michigan Aviation Academy (WMAA) in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I immediately wanted to attend WMAA when I discovered it in an article; I was amazed that there is a school entirely focused around my passion. Aviation is integrated into all aspects of WMAA, and the curriculum allows students to acquire their pilot’s license. Despite the amazing attributes, it was a difficult choice for my parents because the distance between my home and WMAA is about 150 miles. They finally agreed because they knew flying was my dream. I began living with family friends and commuting back to my home in Traverse City, Michigan, each weekend starting the following school year as a sophomore.

Read more here